There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to wearing jewellery, For some, it is all about personal choice with no rules, while others like to make sure everything is exactly as it should be. We take a look at some general guidelines that can help you create a stylish and coordinated look.
Match the Metal
The most common metals for jewellery are gold, silver, and platinum. It’s generally best to stick to one metal per outfit, but you can mix if you do it carefully. For example, you could wear a gold necklace with silver earrings or a platinum bracelet with a gold ring if you wanted to.
Many people prefer to stick to one colour metal. You could match platinum with white gold and silver – in these cases, no one can tell that your metal is different (unless, like us, they are trained experts). It becomes a little trickier when matching different colours like rose gold and yellow gold. Rose gold will go much better with platinum or white gold than it will with yellow.
Consider the Colour of Your Clothing
When choosing jewellery, it’s also a good idea to consider the colours of your outfit. If you’re wearing a lot of bright colours, you can be more creative with your jewellery. But if you’re wearing more neutral colours, you might want to choose more understated pieces.
Different metals work best with different colours too
- Silver jewellery is a classic choice that goes well with a variety of colours, including black, navy, and gray. It can also be worn with lighter colours, but it will be more noticeable.
- Gold is a warmer colour that goes well with warmer tones, such as brown, orange, and red. It can also be worn with neutral colours, but it will be more noticeable.
- Platinum is a silvery-white metal that is similar to silver, but it is more expensive. It goes well with a variety of colours, but it is especially flattering with black and white clothing.
- Colourful jewelry can be a great way to add some personality to your outfit. When choosing bolder pieces, it is important to consider the colors of your clothing and your skin tone. For example, if you have fair skin, you might want to choose jewellery with cooler colours, such as blue or green. If you have dark skin, you might want to choose warmer tones, such as red or orange.
Pay Attention to the Neckline of Your Clothing
The neckline of your clothing can also affect the way jewelry looks. For example, a long necklace will look best with a low neckline, while a shorter necklace will look better with a higher neckline. With some necklaces, it is advisable to forgo the necklace as it can look a little cluttered.
Don’t Overdo it
It’s important not to overdo it. Too much jewellery can be overwhelming and detract from your outfit. A good rule of thumb is to choose one or two statement pieces and then add some more subtle pieces to complement them.
Tips for Wearing Different Types of Jewellery
- Necklaces can be a great way to add length and definition to your outfit. They can also help to draw attention to your face. When choosing a necklace, consider the neckline of your clothing and the length of the necklace. A long necklace will look best with a low neckline, while a shorter one will look better with a higher neckline.
- Earrings are a great way to add personality to your outfit. They can also help to balance out your face shape. When choosing earrings, consider the shape of your face and the style of your outfit. For example, if you have a round face, you might want to choose earrings that are long and dangling.
- Bracelets can add a touch of glamour to your outfit. They can also be used to stack different pieces together for a more unique look. When choosing bracelets, consider the style of your outfit and the metal you want to wear.
- Rings are a classic piece of jewellery that can be worn for any occasion. They can be used to add a touch of sparkle to your outfit or to make a statement. When choosing rings, consider the size of your fingers and the style of your outfit.
Ultimately, the best way to choose the items that best suit the look is to experiment and find what works best for you. There are no right or wrong answers, so have fun with it and see what you can create!
Why not come along to The Goldmarket and discover our extensive range of jewellery. We have lots in stock but if we don’t have what you are looking for, we can often source it for you. We also offer a bespoke design and creation service so you could commission us to make something special.