Gemstones have been prized for their beauty and rarity for centuries. They are used in jewellery, adornments, and religious ceremonies around the world. But what is it about gemstones that makes them so special, and so sought after?
What makes gemstones unique?
There are a number of factors that make gemstones unique:
They are all-natural minerals, which means that they were formed over millions of years by the Earth’s geological processes. This gives them a unique beauty and character that is unlike anything else in nature.
Gemstones are often very rare. This is because the conditions necessary for their formation are very specific. For example, diamonds are formed deep underground under extreme heat and pressure. This makes them one of the rarest and most precious gemstones in the world.
They come in a wide variety of colours, which is another thing that makes them so special. The colour of a gemstone is determined by the presence of certain impurities in the mineral. For example, the red colour of rubies is caused by the presence of chromium, while the blue colour of sapphires is caused by the presence of titanium. In actual fact, they are both varieties of corundum. Ruby is red corundum and gets is colour from the presence of chromium. All other varieties of corundum are classed as sapphire which may contain a mix of chromium, titanium and iron traces.
There are four main precious gemstones
As well as the aforementioned diamonds, sapphires and rubies, emeralds are the fourth of the main precious gemstones.
Emeralds are a type of gemstone, coloured green by trace amounts of chromium or vanadium. They are a variety of the mineral beryl, which also includes aquamarine and morganite. They are typically found in shades of green, ranging from yellow-green to blue-green. The most desirable emeralds have a medium to dark tone and a vivid saturation of color.
The price of a precious gemstone is determined by a number of factors, including its size, color, clarity, and cut.
Some believe they have special powers
In addition to their beauty and rarity, gemstones are also believed to have special powers. For centuries, people have believed that gemstones can bring good luck, health, and protection. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims, but they continue to be popular beliefs.
Whether you believe in their magical properties or not, there is no denying that gemstones are truly special objects. They are a reminder of the beauty and power of nature, and they have been cherished by people for centuries.
Interesting facts about gemstones:
- The hardest gemstone is the diamond, with a Mohs hardness of 10. The softest gemstone is talc, with a Mohs hardness of 1.
- The most expensive gemstone is the blue diamond. The Hope Diamond, a 45.52-carat blue diamond, is estimated to be worth over $250 million.
- The most popular gemstone in the world is the diamond. Diamonds are used in engagement rings and other jewellery all over the world.
- Gemstones can be used for healing purposes. Some people believe that gemstones can help to improve health, promote well-being, and protect against negative energy.
- Gemstones can also be used for meditation and spiritual practices. Some people believe that gemstones can help to connect with the divine and promote spiritual growth.
Did you know? More than 50% of the world’s emeralds come from Columbia.
Sure, here is a UK gemstone blog post:
The prettiest gemstones in the UK
The UK is home to some of the most beautiful gemstones in the world. From the deep blue of the Scottish sapphires to the fiery red of the Cornish rubies, there is a gemstone for everyone to love.
Here are a few of the prettiest gemstones found in the UK:
- Scottish Sapphires: Scottish sapphires are known for their deep blue color and their clarity. They are often used in jewelry and are considered to be one of the most valuable gemstones in the world.
- Cornish Rubies: Cornish rubies are known for their rich red color and their durability. They are often used in jewelry and are considered to be one of the most valuable gemstones in the UK.
- Lakeland Greenstones: Lakeland Greenstones are known for their unique green color and their rarity. They are often used in jewelry and are considered to be one of the most collectible gemstones in the UK.
- Devonshire Diamonds: Devonshire diamonds are known for their small size and their clarity. They are often used in jewelry and are considered to be one of the most affordable gemstones in the UK.
- Yorkshire Jet: Yorkshire jet is a type of black gemstone that is known for its deep color and its ability to polish to a high shine. It is often used in jewelry and is considered to be one of the most unique gemstones in the UK.
While the UK does not have an official national gemstone, the Koh-i-Noor diamond is often considered to be the unofficial gemstone of England. The Koh-i-Noor is a 105.6 carat diamond that is believed to have originated in India. It has been owned by several different rulers over the centuries, including the Mughal Empire, the British East India Company, and the British Crown. The Koh-i-Noor is currently on display in the Tower of London.
At The Goldmarket, we stock a variety of gemstone jewellery from exquisite diamond, sapphire, ruby and emerald pieces to amethyst, topaz and amber. We can create bespoke pieces using the gemstones of your choice and can also undertake a variety of repairs. For more information come in and see us at 23 High Street, Weston super Mare or call us on 01934 628361.